Friday, June 28, 2013

Ferns by Fotocopier. 28th June 2012.

Too wet to do much outdoors so I thought I might bring some plants (or part of the plant) indoors where it was a little warmer and a lot drier.
I decided to capture images of the smaller ferns growing in the garden and, instead of using the camera, I thought I would use the photocopier which I have used in the past on some tiny flowers.
One little surprise was the different shapes of the sori (where the spores are produced) on the underside of the fronds that I hadn't noticed before. I think this may extend into another project I could do at another time.
Some of these ferns were given to me and others were just 'blow ins', coming up by themselves, so I can' put a name to them all. I have labelled those that I believe to be native.
 
I think this is a Sickle Fern.
(native)
 

Brought at K-Mart, I think it had 'Brazil' in the
 name.
 
I think this was a gift plant, now growing in several
 hanging baskets. Underside showing sori.
 
 

Mother Shield Fern.
New plant can be seen growing out
from top left of frond.
(native)
 
Collected from Illawarra area, growing to
just over a metre in the ground.
(native)
 
One of the 'blow ins'.  Underside showing sori.
 
This could be Common Ground Fern,
 (Calochlanena dubia). Makes good Blue Wren
habitat, could easily take over yard if I let it.
Collected from Annangove.
(native)
 
Doodia aspera  -  Prickly Rasp Fern.
Collected from Toongabbie Creek makes
this a local. A judge of the garden
competition was impressed by the display
I had of this fern (I won).
(native)
 
 
Looking like a feather is the Strap Water Fern.
(native)
 
Another 'blow in', comes up in cracks or
in the soil where a brick or rock meets the soil. 
 
 

Fishbone Fern.
Could smother the yard if not kept in check.
(native to Northern Territory)
 
Rough Maidenhair Fern.
One of the slowest to spread of my ferns.
(native)
 

Giant Maidenhair Fern.
Deep rooted and persistent, hard to control
where not wanted.
(native)
 
Hen and Chicken Fern.
A 'chicken' can be seen starting to grow indicated by the arrow.
 
Common Maidenhair Fern.
(native)
 
A gift from a passed on old friend.
 
Another 'blow in'.

Not sure if a gift or a 'blow in'.






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment